Is December the right time to visit Finland ?
Weather in Finland during December
In December, Finland goes into the heart of winter, bringing chilly temperatures and the mesmerizing beauty of snowy landscapes. Here are the key aspects of the weather in Finland during December:
- Temperature: December is one of the coldest months in Finland. Daytime temperatures range from around -5°C to -15°C (23°F to 5°F) in the southern parts, while temperatures can drop even further in the northern regions.
- Snowfall: Snow blankets the entire country, creating a winter wonderland. The southern and central parts of Finland typically have a substantial snow cover, while the northern regions experience deep snow.
- Daylight Hours: December has the shortest days of the year in Finland, with limited daylight hours. In the northernmost parts, the sun may not rise for several weeks, leading to polar night, or “kaamos.”
- Winter Activities: December is the perfect time for winter activities. Skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, and other winter sports have become popular. Lapland, in particular, offers a range of winter experiences, including reindeer safaris and visits to Santa Claus Village.
- Christmas Atmosphere: December is the month of Christmas celebrations, and Finnish towns and cities are adorned with festive decorations and lights. Christmas markets, concerts, and events add to the joyful atmosphere.
- Northern Lights: In Lapland, December provides excellent opportunities to witness the Northern Lights (Aurora Australis) due to the long nights and dark skies.
- Clothing: Dressing warmly is crucial in December. Insulated jackets, thermal layers, hats, gloves, and waterproof boots are essential to staying comfortable in the cold temperatures.
- Christmas Traditions: December is a special time to experience Finnish Christmas traditions. Enjoy the festive cuisine, explore Christmas markets, and take part in holiday activities.
- Sauna Culture: Saunas become even more popular in December, offering a warm retreat from the cold. Many Aussies would appreciate the sauna as part of their winter wellness routine.
- New Year Celebrations: The month concludes with festive New Year celebrations. Fireworks, parties, and special events take place across the country to welcome the new year.
While December brings cold temperatures and limited daylight, it also offers a magical winter experience, making it an ideal time for those who appreciate the charm of snowy landscapes and festive celebrations.
Where in Finland should you visit in December?
In December, Finland transforms into a winter wonderland, and various destinations offer unique experiences to embrace the enchanting spirit of the season. Here are some recommended places to visit in Finland during December:
- Rovaniemi (Lapland):
- Rovaniemi, the official hometown of Santa Claus, is a magical destination in December. Explore Santa Claus Village, meet Santa himself, and indulge in festive activities. Lapland offers a range of winter adventures, from reindeer sleigh rides to Northern Lights safaris.
- Levi (Lapland):
- Levi, a popular ski resort in Lapland, is perfect for winter sports enthusiasts. Enjoy skiing, snowboarding, and explore the Levi Ice Gallery. The village atmosphere is filled with festive cheer.
- Finland’s capital, Helsinki, comes alive with Christmas markets, festive lights, and holiday events. Visit the Senate Square, experience the Christmas atmosphere at the Old Market Hall, and enjoy the city’s cultural offerings.
- The charming town of Porvoo, with its well-preserved old town, is a picturesque destination in December. Explore cobblestone streets adorned with Christmas lights, visit local shops, and experience the festive ambiance.
- Turku, Finland’s oldest city, offers a historic Christmas market and festive events. Explore the Turku Castle, stroll along the Aura River, and enjoy the city’s holiday charm.
- Tampere, nestled between lakes, provides a cozy atmosphere during December. Explore the Christmas markets, visit museums, and enjoy the city’s winter ambiance.
- Oulu, located on the Gulf of Bothnia, features a unique blend of winter and coastal experiences. Enjoy the Oulu Christmas Market, explore the city’s architecture, and partake in winter festivities.
- Kuopio, surrounded by lakes, offers a tranquil winter retreat. Experience the Christmas markets, take a cruise on Lake Kallavesi, and enjoy the serene winter landscape.
- Savonlinna, known for its medieval Olavinlinna Castle, offers a serene winter setting. Explore the town, visit the castle, and experience the festive ambiance along Lake Saimaa.
- Lappeenranta, situated on the shores of Lake Saimaa, provides a picturesque winter escape. Explore the Christmas market, visit the fortress, and enjoy the holiday spirit by the lake.
These destinations offer a mix of festive activities, winter adventures, and a chance to witness the unique charm of Finland during the holiday season. Whether you’re seeking a winter sports haven, a cultural experience, or a visit to Santa’s hometown, Finland in December has something special to offer.
Frequently asked questions
Is December a good time to visit Finland?
What is the weather like in Finland in April?
What is the weather like in Finland in December?
Can I see the Northern Lights in Finland in December?
What winter activities are available in Finland in December?
Are Christmas markets popular in Finland in December?
Can I meet Santa Claus in Finland in December?
What clothing should I pack for a Finland tour in December?
What Christmas traditions can I experience in Finland?
Are attractions and accommodations crowded in Finland in December?
What New Year celebrations take place in Finland?
Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, Lehtoahontie, Sinettä, Finland