About Odori Park
Odori Park is a big public park that can be found in the middle of Sapporo, which is in the country of Japan. The park is almost 1.5 kilometers (0.9 miles) long from east to west, and it serves as a divider between the northern and southern halves of the city center. Locals and visitors go to this location in large numbers throughout the year, but notably in February, when the Sapporo Snow Festival is held. Paths for walking and biking are included in addition to the park’s other amenities, which include large open spaces, flower gardens, fountains, and sculptures. In addition, the park is home to a number of important structures and attractions, such as the Sapporo TV Tower, the former Hokkaido Government Office, and the Sapporo City Archive Museum. They can be found either within the park itself or in the surrounding area. Odori Park is an important cultural and social center for the people of Hokkaido, and it is a symbol of the development of Sapporo as a modern city. It is also a symbol of the development of Sapporo.
History time line of Odori Park
Here is a brief history timeline of Odori Park:
- 1869: Hokkaido’s first governor, Kiyotaka Kuroda, orders the development of Sapporo.
- 1871: Sapporo is designated as the prefectural capital of Hokkaido.
- 1876: Construction of a government office complex, including a park, begins in the center of Sapporo.
- 1878: The park is named “Sapporo Horticultural Garden” and opens to the public.
- 1926: The park is renamed “Odori Park” and is expanded to its current size of 1.5 km (0.9 miles) in length.
- 1946: A memorial to the Hokkaido Development Commission is built in the park.
- 1972: The Sapporo Winter Olympics are held, with the park hosting several events.
- 1989: The Sapporo TV Tower is completed in the park, becoming a popular tourist attraction.
- 1997: The Sapporo Snow Festival is designated as a “Festival of Japan,” bringing national attention to the park and city.
- 2020: The COVID-19 pandemic results in the cancellation of the Sapporo Snow Festival and other events in the park.
Today, Odori Park remains a central gathering place for locals and tourists, offering green space, seasonal events, and cultural attractions in the heart of Sapporo.
How to reach Odori Park
Odori Park is located in the heart of Sapporo and is easily accessible by public transportation. Here are some of the ways to reach Odori Park:
Odori Park By subway:
- Take the Namboku Line, Tozai Line, or Toho Line to the Odori Station. Odori Park is just a few minutes’ walk from the station.
Odori Park By bus:
- Take any bus that stops at the Odori Koen (Odori Park) bus stop. The park is located just outside the bus stop.
Odori Park On foot:
- If you are staying in the city center, you can easily walk to Odori Park. The park is located within walking distance of many popular hotels, shops, and restaurants.
Odori Park By taxi:
- Taxis are widely available in Sapporo and can take you directly to the park. Just tell the driver you want to go to “Odori Koen” and they should know where to take you.
Odori Park By car:
- It is not recommended to drive in the city center due to heavy traffic and limited parking. If you must drive, there are several paid parking lots located near the park.
Do's and Dont's at Odori Park
Here are some general do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when visiting Odori Park:
- Do enjoy the natural beauty of the park and take time to appreciate the flowers, trees, and other features.
- Do respect the park’s rules and regulations, which are posted throughout the park.
- Do use the designated smoking areas and dispose of cigarette butts properly.
- Do use the garbage cans and recycling bins provided to keep the park clean.
- Do be mindful of other park visitors and keep noise levels reasonable.
- Don’t litter or leave trash in the park.
- Don’t damage or remove any of the park’s natural or man-made features.
- Don’t climb on or hang from trees or structures in the park.
- Don’t bring pets or animals into the park, except for service animals.
- Don’t disturb wildlife or feed the animals in the park.
- Don’t play ball games or other activities that could potentially harm other visitors or the park’s features.
- Don’t enter restricted areas or areas that are marked off-limits.
- Don’t bring alcohol or use illegal drugs in the park.
Highlights of Odori Park
Here are some of the highlights and attractions of Odori Park:
- Sapporo Snow Festival: Held annually in early February, the Sapporo Snow Festival is the park’s most famous event. Visitors can admire the impressive snow and ice sculptures and enjoy winter activities like ice-skating and sledding.
- Flower gardens: Odori Park has a number of flower gardens that bloom with different flowers throughout the year. The most popular of these are the lilac garden and the rose garden.
- Fountains and water features: The park has several fountains and water features, including the famous Moerenuma Fountain, which shoots water high into the air.
- Statues and monuments: There are a number of statues and monuments throughout the park, including the famous Sapporo TV Tower and the Sapporo Clock Tower.
- Street performances: During the warmer months, visitors can enjoy various street performances and entertainment in the park.
- Food and drink: It has a number of food stalls and vendors that sell local snacks and drinks, making it a great place to try some of Sapporo’s famous cuisine.
- Scenic views: Odori Park offers stunning views of the surrounding city and is a great place to take photos and enjoy the cityscape.
Tourist reviews of Odori Park
Here are a few tourist reviews of Odori Park:
- “We visited Odori Park during the Sapporo Snow Festival and it was absolutely amazing. The snow sculptures were so intricate and detailed, and the atmosphere was electric. We also enjoyed walking around the park’s many flower gardens and taking in the views of the city.”
- “Odori Park is a beautiful and peaceful oasis in the heart of the city. We loved strolling along the tree-lined paths and taking in the different fountains and water features. There are also plenty of food and drink options, so it’s a great place to relax and people-watch.”
- “The Sapporo Clock Tower and the TV Tower are two of the main attractions in Odori Park, and they are definitely worth a visit. We also enjoyed browsing the different vendors and souvenir shops in the park, and trying some of the local snacks and drinks.”
- “I loved the street performers and musicians in Odori Park, and it was great to see so many different cultures and nationalities represented. The park is a great place to spend a relaxing afternoon, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Sapporo.”
Overall, tourists tend to enjoy the natural beauty of Odori Park, the many attractions and activities available throughout the year, and the vibrant atmosphere of the park during festivals and events.
Frequently asked questions about Odori Park ?
When is the best time to visit Odori Park?
Is there an admission fee to visit Odori Park?
What are some of the main attractions in Odori Park?
Can you bring food and drinks into Odori Park?
Is Odori Park accessible for wheelchair users?
Are pets allowed in Odori Park?
Important to know about Sapporo Snow Festival in Japan
About Sapporo Snow Festival in Japan Important to know about Sapporo Snow Festival in Japan-The Sapporo Snow Festival is held every winter in Sapporo, which is the capital city of Hokkaido, Japan's northernmost prefecture. Every year, millions of people from all over the world come to the festival, which is one of the biggest winter [...]
Important to know about festivals in Japan
About festivals in Japan Important to know about festivals in Japan - Japan is a country with a lot of history and culture, and one way this is shown is in its many festivals. The Japanese call these celebrations "matsuri," and they happen all year long. They are a way to mark everything from the [...]
Is February the right time to visit Japan
Is February the right time to visit Japan Is February the right time to visit Japan- February can be a great time to visit Japan, depending on your preferences and travel goals. Here are some factors to consider when deciding if February is the right time for you to visit: Weather: February is still considered [...]
Is January the right time to visit Japan
Is January the right time to visit Japan Is January the right time to visit Japan- January can be a good time to visit Japan for some travelers, but it depends on your preferences and interests. Here are some factors to consider: Pros of visiting Japan in January: Winter sports: Japan is known for its [...]
Is December the right time to visit Japan
Is December the right time to visit Japan Is December the right time to visit Japan - December can be a great time to visit Japan for some travelers, but it depends on your preferences and what you want to do during your trip. Here are some things to consider: Pros of Visiting Japan in [...]
Is November the right time to visit Japan
Is November the right time to visit Japan Is November the right time to visit Japan - There are several reasons why you should consider traveling to Japan in the month of November. The temperature is pleasant and the humidity is low, the crowds are less dense than they are at the busiest travel times [...]
Is October the right time to visit Japan
Is October the right time to visit Japan Is October the right time to visit Japan- It is true that October is an excellent season to travel to Japan. Temperatures in most sections of the country average between 15 and 23 degrees Celsius (59 and 73 degrees Fahrenheit) during the month of October, making it [...]
Is September the right time to visit Japan
Is September the right time to visit Japan Is September the right time to visit Japan - The month of September is generally considered to be an excellent time to visit Japan; however, the precise timing of your trip can vary depending on your particular interests and preferences. September is traditionally considered to be one [...]
Is August the right time to visit Japan
Is August the right time to visit Japan Is August the right time to visit Japan - Japan is a mesmerizing nation that captivates visitors with its magnificent natural beauty, extensive cultural history, and dynamic urban centers. Although though it's possible to have a wonderful vacation at any time of the year, many tourists are curious [...]
Is July the right time to visit Japan
Is July the right time to visit Japan Is July the right time to visit Japan - Japan is a nation that attracts tourists from all over the world due to its distinctive combination of age-old customs and cutting-edge modernity. As a result, Japan is a very popular tourist destination. In the month of July, the [...]
Is June the right time to visit Japan
Is June the right time to visit Japan Is June the right time to visit Japan - The nation of Japan is a favorite vacation spot for many people all over the world due to its impressive combination of ancient and contemporary culture, breathtaking natural scenery, and mouthwatering cuisine. The subject of whether or not [...]
Is may the right time to visit Japan
Is May the right time to visit Japan Is may the right time to visit Japan - Japan is a country that is steeped in history, culture, and natural beauty. Every year, millions of tourists flock to this island nation to experience its vibrant cities, picturesque landscapes, and unique traditions. If you're planning a trip [...]
Is April the right time to visit Japan
Is April the right time to visit Japan Is April the right time to visit Japan - The month of April is considered to be one of the greatest seasons to travel to Japan, particularly for travelers who are interested in witnessing the world-famous cherry blossom season. The majority of Japan experiences pleasant and temperate [...]
Important to know about Hokkaido Museum
About Hokkaido Museum The Hokkaido Museum is a museum located in Sapporo, the largest city on the island of Hokkaido, Japan. Here are some facts and highlights of the Hokkaido Museum: History: The museum was established in 1971 as part of the Hokkaido Centennial Memorial Project, which commemorated the 100th anniversary of Hokkaido's establishment as [...]
Important to know about Mt. Moiwa
About Mt. Moiwa Mt. Moiwa is a popular mountain and observation deck located in Sapporo, Japan. Here are some facts and highlights of Mt. Moiwa: Location: Mt. Moiwa is located in the southwest part of Sapporo, and it offers panoramic views of the city, the Sea of Japan, and the Ishikari Plains. Access: You can [...]
Important to know about Moerenuma Park
About Moerenuma Park Moerenuma Park is a large public park located in Sapporo, Japan. It covers an area of approximately 189 hectares and was designed by the renowned Japanese-American sculptor and landscape architect Isamu Noguchi. The park was originally a waste treatment plant, but it was transformed into a public park for the 1972 Winter [...]
Important to know about Clock Tower Sapporo
About Clock Tower Sapporo The Sapporo Clock Tower is a historic building located in Sapporo, Japan. It is one of the most famous landmarks in the city and is a popular tourist attraction. Here are some things to know about the Sapporo Clock Tower: History: The Sapporo Clock Tower was built in 1878 by a [...]
Important to know about Hokkaido Shrine
About Hokkaido Shrine Hokkaido Shrine is a Shinto shrine that can be found in Sapporo. It is dedicated to the Shinto deities that are associated with Hokkaido, which is the most northern province in Japan. Since it was established in 1869 as a way to commemorate the founding of Hokkaido as a distinct prefecture, the [...]