About Sapporo TV Tower
The Sapporo TV Tower is a well-known landmark and tourist attraction located in the heart of Hokkaido’s capital city, Sapporo, in northern Japan. The tower’s height of 147.2 meters (483 feet) makes it a popular location for taking in panoramic views of the city.
The tower’s construction began in 1957 and was completed within a year. Was opened to the public on March 26, 1959, and was Hokkaido’s first television tower. The tower was constructed to promote tourists in Sapporo and the city’s expanding broadcasting sector.
The Sapporo TV Tower is made of steel and features an observation deck 90 meters (295 ft) above the ground. The observation deck provides panoramic views of the city and is accessible through an elevator. Moreover, there is a small gift shop and café on the observation deck.
The tower underwent extensive renovations in 2005, including the addition of a new observation deck and an elevator with a glass floor. The tower has become a renowned tourist destination and a must-see for anybody visiting Sapporo.
Ultimately, the Sapporo TV Tower is a significant icon of the city and a witness to its evolution over time.
History time line of Sapporo TV Tower
Here is a brief timeline of the Sapporo TV Tower:
- In 1956, the Sapporo Chamber of Commerce and Industry proposed the construction of a TV tower to boost tourism in the city.
- Construction of the tower began in 1957 and was completed in just over a year.
- The Sapporo TV Tower officially opened on March 26, 1959, and was the first television tower in Hokkaido.
- The tower is 147.2 meters (483 feet) tall and is constructed of steel.
- In 2005, the tower underwent a major renovation, including the installation of a new observation deck and the addition of an elevator with a glass floor.
- The tower is now a popular tourist attraction and offers panoramic views of the city from its observation deck, which is located 90 meters (295 feet) above ground.
- In 2015, the Sapporo TV Tower celebrated its 56th anniversary with a special light show and a series of events.
Throughout its history, the Sapporo TV Tower has remained an important symbol of the city and a popular destination for visitors from around the world.
How to reach Sapporo TV Tower
It is located in the heart of Sapporo city, making it easily accessible by a variety of transportation options. Here are some ways to reach the tower:
- Sapporo TV Tower By Subway: Take the Namboku Line or the Toho Line to the Odori Station, which is located just a few minutes’ walk from the tower.
- Sapporo TV Tower By Bus: Several bus lines stop near the tower, including the Tozai Line, the Chuo Bus, and the Donan Bus.
- Sapporo TV Tower By Taxi: Taxis are widely available throughout Sapporo, and you can simply ask the driver to take you to the Sapporo TV Tower.
- Sapporo TV Tower By Walking: If you are staying in the downtown area of Sapporo, you can easily reach the tower by walking. It is located in Odori Park, which is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
Once you reach the tower, you can purchase tickets to access the observation deck, which is located 90 meters (295 feet) above ground. The observation deck offers stunning views of Sapporo and is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to the city.
Do's and Dont's at Sapporo TV Tower
Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when visiting the Sapporo TV Tower:
- Do take your time to enjoy the stunning views of Sapporo from the observation deck.
- Do check the weather forecast before visiting the tower to ensure you have the best view possible.
- Do bring a camera to capture the amazing views and memories of your visit.
- Do purchase souvenirs or gifts from the gift shop to take back home.
- Do follow the rules and regulations of the tower and respect other visitors.
- Don’t litter or damage any property of the tower or the surrounding area.
- Don’t run or engage in any activity that could cause harm to yourself or others.
- Don’t bring any dangerous items or weapons into the tower.
- Don’t smoke or consume any food or drinks on the observation deck.
- Don’t bring pets into the tower, except for assistance animals.
By following these simple do’s and don’ts, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable visit to the Sapporo TV Tower for everyone.
Highlights of Sapporo TV Tower
It is a popular tourist attraction in Sapporo, offering visitors a chance to enjoy stunning views of the city from its observation deck. Here are some of the highlights of the tower:
- Observation Deck: The observation deck is located at a height of 90 meters (295 feet) above ground and offers 360-degree views of the city. Visitors can enjoy the stunning views of the cityscape and the surrounding mountains, as well as take pictures to capture the memories of their visit.
- Glass Floor: The tower’s recent renovation included the installation of an elevator with a glass floor, providing visitors with a unique and thrilling experience of looking down from the tower as they ascend to the observation deck.
- History: The Sapporo TV Tower has a long and fascinating history, as the first television tower in Hokkaido. The tower’s construction played an important role in boosting tourism in Sapporo and promoting the city’s broadcasting industry.
- Location: The tower is located in the heart of Sapporo’s downtown area, making it easily accessible by a variety of transportation options. It is situated in the popular Odori Park, which is also home to various festivals and events throughout the year.
- Gift Shop and Restaurant: The observation deck also includes a small gift shop and restaurant, where visitors can purchase souvenirs, snacks, and drinks. The restaurant offers a chance to enjoy a meal or refreshments with a stunning view of the city.
Overall, the Sapporo TV Tower is a must-visit attraction in Sapporo, offering visitors a chance to enjoy stunning views of the city, learn about its history, and create memories that will last a lifetime.