About Okinawa Peace Memorial Park
Okinawa Peace Memorial Park is a large public park located in Itoman, on the southern tip of Okinawa Island, Japan. The park serves as a memorial to the Battle of Okinawa, which took place during World War II and resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of Okinawan civilians and military personnel. Here are some key features of the park:
- Peace Memorial Museum: The park includes a museum that features exhibits related to the Battle of Okinawa, including photographs, artifacts, and personal accounts from survivors. The museum aims to promote peace and educate visitors about the impact of war on civilians.
- Peace Prayer Park: The Peace Prayer Park is a large open space within the park that includes a variety of monuments and memorials, including the “Cornerstone of Peace,” a wall with the names of all known war casualties, including both military personnel and civilians.
- The Fountain of Peace: The Fountain of Peace is a large fountain that sits in the center of the Peace Memorial Park. The fountain serves as a symbol of hope and a reminder of the importance of peace.
- The Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum: This museum is located adjacent to the Peace Memorial Park and offers a more in-depth look at the history of Okinawa, its culture, and the Battle of Okinawa.
- Heiwa Dori: Heiwa Dori is a street lined with shops and restaurants that runs through the park. Visitors can find a variety of souvenirs, snacks, and meals here.
- The Okinawa Peace Hall: This building is located within the park and serves as a venue for various events related to peace and reconciliation.
Overall, Okinawa Peace Memorial Park serves as an important reminder of the impact of war on civilians and the importance of peace. The park is a must-visit for those interested in Okinawa’s history and culture.
History timeline of Okinawa Peace Memorial Park
How to reach Okinawa Peace Memorial Park
Okinawa Peace Memorial Park is located in Itoman, on the southern tip of Okinawa Island, Japan. Here are some ways to reach the park:
- By car: The most convenient way to reach Okinawa Peace Memorial is by car. The park is located about 30 minutes from Naha Airport, and there is ample parking available.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop at Okinawa Peace Memorial Park, including the number 89, 90, and 120 buses. The bus stop is located a short walk from the park entrance.
- By taxi: Taxis are readily available throughout Okinawa, and it is possible to take a taxi directly to Okinawa Peace Memorial.
- By tour bus: Many tour companies offer guided tours of Okinawa that include a visit to Okinawa Peace Memorial. This can be a convenient option for those who prefer not to drive.
It is important to note that Okinawa is a relatively small island, and it is easy to get around by car or public transportation. While it may take some time to reach Okinawa Peace Memorial Park from certain parts of the island, the journey is generally straightforward and can be quite scenic.
Statistics of Okinawa Peace Memorial Park
Here are some statistics about Okinawa Peace Memorial Park:
- The park covers an area of approximately 234,000 square meters (about 58 acres).
- The park was established in 1972 to commemorate the Battle of Okinawa, which took place from March to June 1945.
- The park includes several memorials and monuments, including the Cornerstone of Peace, which lists the names of all those who lost their lives during the Battle of Okinawa, and the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum.
- More than 5 million people visit Okinawa Peace Memorial Park each year, making it one of the most popular tourist attractions in Okinawa.
- The park is located in Itoman City, at the southern tip of Okinawa Island, and is easily accessible by car, bus, or taxi.